The Anatomy Of A Problem

x
Bookmark

Life is full of problems.

We deal with problems every single day. For example:

• Is it better to cut the top off a boiled egg with a knife or smack the top with a spoon?
  • Do I prefer the ticking of an analogue watch or the beeping of a digital watch?
  • Would my room look better decorated with antique or modern furniture?
  • What’s the quickest way to get from point A to point B?
  • Should I go to skiing in Europe or laze around on the beach in the Mediterranean for a weekend break?

For most people (myself included!), the last problem is one that we really wouldn’t mind having.

Some problems are easily dealt with while others can result in wars and senseless tragedies.

Faced with so many problems in our day to day lives, what’s interesting to note is the variety of solutions you can find to help deal with our problems.

In our modern inter-connected world, you only need to type in a few words into a search engine to find an answer (or even several answers) to a problem that you had. When you do a search in Google or any other search engines – you do so because you have a Problem. The results returned then present you with a list of “potential” solutions. The most fashionable and contextually relevant solution is presented at the top of the list but, perhaps, the question we should be asking is:

Is this solution really the most appropriate solution to your problem?

With “problems” being a central part of our day to day lives, when was the last time you stopped to consider the question:

“What is a problem”?

In this series, I’ll be giving you a very simplistic Model of Problems that will enable you to understand personal problems and demonstrate how it’s possible to find solutions. You’ll discover how the field of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) has provided techniques for the elimination of personal problems and I’ll give you an insight into a few NLP techniques and explain why they’re effective.

The Anatomy Of A Problem Index:

12 Responses to The Anatomy Of A Problem

1. cher says:

I am new to your website and I have found all the information here are very valuable to my personal growth. Thanks for sharing.

• Zain says:

Hi Cher,

Welcome aboard. We’re all new here, as the site’s been re-launched only in the last few weeks (so you’ve not missed much!).

I hope you find this information useful. When this section is complete, then I’ll be putting it into an eBook format for people to read offline and share. For the moment, please feel free to use the sharing icons to help spread the value you’ve discovered.

Cheers,

Zain

2. Ken Thomas says:

To have a better understanding of NLP, what book would you recommend a novice to read?

Thanks for your help,
    Ken

• Zain says:

Hi Ken,

Tough question! NLP can be applied to so many different areas – from business, to presentation to Life Coaching and even theraputically in helping to clear stuck states and extreme negative issues.

Personally, I’d recommend doing a course – it’s hard to compress all of the information into a book for novices. For example, my “Practitioner” training was 7 days long excluding the huge manual and 20 CDs & a few DVDs to watch and listen to as pre-study. So… that’s just the “basic” level. I’m compressing a few of the ideas in this series so that people can get an idea of what is possible using the tools of NLP.

From a reading perspective, I quite liked books written by Robert Dilts – for some reason, I’ve not got many on my shelves (I think I’ve lent them out but they’ve never come back… hmmm). “Sleight of Mouth” is good.

Coming from more of a Tad James lineage of NLP, the “Time Line Therapy™ & The Basis of Personality” by James & Woodsmall is good. Time Line is useful for clearing things like Phobias and traumas.

In terms of Hypnosis, I’d recommend “My Voice Will Go With You” edited by Sidney Rosen, which is a compilation of Milton Erickson anecdotes with very powerful and useful metaphors. I use variations of some of these with clients occassionally.

Recently, the NLP Trainer I trained with (and still help with occassional assisting on courses) has been learning new NLP techniques from a guy in the US called John Overdurf – techniques like “conversational anchoring” and “Time Based Techniques” (similar to Time Liney Therapy™ ).

Anyway, do a search for “nlp practitioner” in Google if you’re looking for a course. If you find a site called “NLP World” then I’d recommend visiting that one… mainly as I helped to re-build it; get them ranked in the search engines; maintain it, as well as adding a shopping cart to turn round their fortunes! It could do with a major re-vamp as the site look and feel is about 3 years old… the only thing is, their Webmaster (I wonder who that was… :) ) has his own site to build now.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Zain

3. Paul says:

Thanks Zain,
    I shall read whY you have given me

Many,Thanks Again Paul

4. raroni1 says:

Thanks Zain,
    To understand me eligible for this article.It is very useful for all peoples life.
    Thanks again

• Zain says:

Hi raroni,

No problem. Please feel free to share this site with others so that they may benefit from it too! By doing so, you will also find like-minded people who may well be useful to you on your journey to success.

I wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Zain

5. gigi121 says:

I really enjoyed this information and will be looking forward to part 7. Thank You Zain!!

• Zain says:

Hi gigi,

I’m really glad you enjoyed this series – I actually like writing them! They’re a light hearted way of discovering how to deal with problems.

When I first discovered how simple the process really is, I couldn’t believe it… Anyway, I thought that I’d share the simple processes – hopefully more people will discover that it’s possible to positively change and make self-control a habit. The tricky part is “making it a habit” and being able to keep checking in to whether or not old patterns are bing played out. Then again, if you’re already putting the principles of Think & Grow Rich into action, you should be doing this anyway! :)

Cheers,

Zain

6. Razor2900 says:

Hello Zain,

First of all, I wish to thank you for sharing all this knowledge with us.
    I am going through a rough period of my life and I really need some help to overcome my problems.
    I am sure that these information will be very useful for me.
    PS: I am writing you from Italy…but thank God that I know English…otherwise it would be kind of difficult to understand all of these concepts :)

Best Regards,

Robert

• Zain says:

Hi Robert,

I’m glad that this information is useful (and that you understand English… I only know a few words in Italian… probably best not repeated as they’re rude! :$ ). I hope that you managed to easily overcome your problems – the key thing to remember is that all problems are actually “illusions”. They only exist because of the boundaries you’ve put on them – the words you use and the context. For example, always thinking you’re “awful at something”… Well, this is usually because there’s a comparison being made (being awful is being compared to some external idea of “being good at it”). Often we forget the “context” – it’s obvious that if someone is starting out, then they will be “awful”… but actually, “that’s OK!”. So, you can probably see that the “Problem” just needs to be broken down.

What I’d recommend is to start by just asking: “What *specifically* is the Problem?”. Most of the time, it’s hidden away (self-deception)… and when you do find it, it makes it much easier to deal with. The next step is to start asking questions and look for alternative solutions. A bit like an inventor looking at something and thinking “that’s good… but what else can it do? How else can I do it? Is it possible to do it in a different / more efficient way?”. That’s how you can start to break down problems… Begin by asking the *right* question! (More of this to come…)

I hope that helps you a little more. Feel free to contact me if there’s something specific you’d like to know about. :)

Cheers,

Zain

7. Jean says:

I feel this website is awesome. I read Think and Grow Rich when I was a young career woman, wife and mother. It helped myself esteem, and gave me unbelievable confidence. God is good, and finding this website has been awesome.

Share Your Thoughts

Do you have something you want to share? Or maybe you have a question about this article? Join the discussion and add your views using the form below!

Note: The CAPTCHA is only for non-logged in users.

Note: All comments are moderated. Spam comment links are never approved.

required